Founded in 1896

Founded by Thomas Mason Daffern in Coventry in 1896
2016 is our 120th anniversary
Press Esc to close
Press Esc to close
Press Esc to close

Dafferns the Coventry accountants since 1896

120 years of history, advising thousands clients throughout Coventry and Warwickshire and nationwide

Dafferns was founded in 1896 by Thomas Mason Daffern, an eminent local businessman, accountant and stockbroker and who in 1884 also became the founder of the Coventry Permanent Economic Building Society (today The Coventry Building Society).

In 1919 Mr Daffern handed the firm on to his son, Thomas Wells Daffern and in 1930 William Hope was admitted to partnership and the firm became Daffern & Co.

In 1935 Bob Heatley became a partner, followed in 1936 by Phil Mead. Bob Heatley and Phil Mead were the powerhouses who dramatically grew Daffern & Co to be Coventry’s leading firm of Chartered Accountants through the 1950s and 60s.

In Coventry, the firm operated from offices in the High Street (until the blitz in 1940), then Warwick Row through to 1975, when the firm moved across the ring road to Queens House in Queens Road.

In 1962 Kenneth Moss and Gerald Binks opened a second office on The Parade in Leamington Spa, moving to Warwick House in Clarendon Street in 1978.

In 2007 the Daffern & Co partnership was incorporated as Dafferns LLP, a limited liability partnership.

In the autumn of 2010 the firm relocated both its city centre Coventry and Leamington Spa offices, acquiring a single, large, modern, central office at One Eastwood, Binley Business Park in Coventry.

At the beginning of 2016 we opened a satellite office in Devon as we began to build a presence in the South West, with a focus on Business Advisory.

History has gone full circle, with both of Thomas Mason Daffern’s legacy businesses, Dafferns LLP and the Coventry Building Society based at Binley Business Park.

Former Dafferns partners

The people who built and shaped the firm

The Leamington and Coventry partners in 2000

Dafferns partners through the years...

Equity partners:
TM (Thomas Mason) Daffern 1896  – 1919
TW (Thomas Wells) Daffern 1919 – 1954
WP (William) Hale 1930 – 1953
WR (Bob) Heatley 1935 – 1975
JR (“Phil”) Mead 1936 – 1969
KH (Kenneth) Moss 1956 – 1975
Barry Gillitt 1961 – 1990
RG (Gerald) Binks 1961 – 1992
AJ (Tony) Mead 1967 – 1976 (the son of Phil Mead)
Paul Varney 1971 – 2001
TD (David) Boakes 1974 – 2005
CP (Chris) Trye 1980 – 2004
IF (Ian) Smedley 1981 – 2007
KH (Ken) Wells 1981 -1999
Philip West 1982 -1983
AC (Andrew) Jones 1987 – 2014
RJ (Richard) Miller 1992 – to present
MJ (Martin) Gibbs 1999 – to present
BC (Brian) Jukes 2004 – to present
GR (Geoffrey) Cox 2005 – to present
BA (Brian) King 2009 –  to present

Non equity partners:
PC (Penny) Buckley 1992 – 1998 (the daughter of Gerald Binks)
MB (Martin) Swift 1992 – 2002
Paul Essex FCCA 1992 – 2009
JB (Jeremy) Richards 2006 – 2012
AC (Andy) Bewick 2015 – to present

Managing partners:
Thomas Mason Daffern 1896 – 1919
Thomas Wells Daffern 1919  – 1940s
Phil Mead and Bob Heatley 1940s – late 1960s
Barry Gillitt late 1960s to 1990
Ian Smedley 1990 – 2007
Martin Gibbs 2007 – to present

Senior partners of Leamington Spa office:
Ken Moss 1962 – 1975
Gerald Binks 1975 – 1992
David Boakes 1992 – 2005
Martin Gibbs 2005 – 2010, when the firm relocated to Binley Business Park

Dafferns staff through the years...

Long serving staff members:
John Cattell 194? – 200? – 60 plus years
John Norris 1967 – 2013 – 46 years
Philip Smith 1972 – 44 years and counting
Maureen Martin 1974 – 2014 – 40 years
John Scamp 1974 – 2014 – 40 years

Dafferns offices through the years...

Coventry offices:
Little Park Street 1896 – 1925
19/20 High Street 1925 – 14 November 1940, the night of the Coventry Blitz
29 Warwick Row – 1941 – 1975
Queens House, Queens Road 1975 – October 2010
One Eastwood, Binley Business Park October 2010 –

Leamington Spa offices:
12 The Parade 1962 – 1978
Warwick House, 32 – 34 Clarendon Street 1978 – October 2010, when the firm relocated to Binley Business Park